Sightseeing and conference dinner

Wednesday, November 13

13:30 – 21:00


In the middle of the nineteenth century Moliceiros were used to harvest the sludge that existed in the Lagoon (Ria), which served as fertilizer for the sandy lands of the farmers region. A few decades ago, the former Ria de Aveiro shipyards were reactivated to recover the moliceiros and the old craft making techniques of these boats, which are now used as tour boats. Slender and colorful, painted in the bow with traditional designs of bright colors that invoke historical facts and popular devotion, Moliceiros channel the Ria showing the other side of the city of Aveiro.


The Aveiro Salines (Salinas de Aveiro)

Open-air installations to evaporate the salt dissolved in water. Salt production has always played a major role in the economy of the Aveiro region. What used to be a thriving economic activity has been somewhat declining in recent years. Only a few salinas remained.


Barra’s Lighthouse (Farol da Barra)

Farol da Barra, located at the beach with the same name, has a visible range of 23 NM, being visited annually by thousands of tourists. The lighthouse with 62 m was build in stone masonry (1885-1893) and was the sixth largest in the world at the time of its construction. Currently, it is the highest in Portugal and the 2nd highest in Europe.


Haystacks of Costa Nova do Prado

Throughout the 19th century, fishermen from Ílhavo began to move to Costa Nova because a new shore line gave them easier access to sea. So, they began to build haystacks, storages and shelters for the seamen and the fishing boats of the Lagoon. The outside planks were horizontal and painted in bright red welcoming the sea with color and energy. The interior space was wide and didn’t have any divisions as it was simply a storage house. As the years went by, some fishermen began to transform the haystacks and turned them into living spaces where several families would live during the summer.


Caves São João 

São João cellars is an independent family business. Founded in 1920, it is preparing to celebrate its 100th anniversary. This company has always been allied to the avant-garde and tradition. In 1930 it began selling sparkling wines and in 1959 began to market quality bottled wines, both nationally and internationally. It is not possible to write the history of Bairrada wine production without the São João Caves.

Curia Palace – Conference dinner

Our conference dinner will take place at the Belle Époque restaurant of the Curia Palace hotel. This restaurant is an original setting of the glorious 1920s and is exceptionally preserved. We’ll enjoy some Bairradas’ delicacies, such as the regional Leitão and Espumante, listening to the traditional Fado, and delight the sights of the peaceful Bairrada valleys and the ubiquitous Serra do Buçaco!